By James Stuart Tanton
A one-volume encyclopedia designed for top university via early students. With greater than 1,000 entries, greater than a hundred twenty five images and illustrations, it unites disparate rules and gives the that means, historical past, context, and relevance in the back of every one one..
By Carole Stott
There are literally thousands of stars within the sky and hundreds of thousands of items to benefit concerning the universe, and One Million issues: Space serves up imagery and knowledge approximately all issues cosmic: from planets, moons, and comets, to black holes, nebulae, far away sunlight platforms, and extra.
By M. Keith Booker
The technology Fiction Handbook deals a finished and available survey of 1 of the literary world's such a lot attention-grabbing genres.
- Includes separate ancient surveys of key subgenres together with time-travel narratives, post-apocalyptic and post-disaster narratives and works of utopian and dystopian technology fiction
- Each subgenre survey contains an intensive checklist of proper serious readings, instructed novels within the subgenre, and suggested motion pictures correct to the subgenre
- Features entries on a few key technology fiction authors and vast dialogue of significant technological know-how fiction novels or sequences
- Writers and works contain Isaac Asimov; Margaret Atwood; George Orwell; Ursula okay. Le Guin; The battle of the Worlds (1898); Starship Troopers (1959); Mars Trilogy (1993-6); and lots of more
- A 'Science Fiction word list' completes this critical Handbook
Encyclopedia of the Jazz Age: From the top of worldwide battle I to the good Crash
By Margaret Levi
A twenty first century method of the learn of politics Political technological know-how wishes a source that serves as a middle connection with the imperative principles, techniques, and frameworks underlying the learn of politics and that highlights the intersections of politics with different disciplines. "The Encyclopedia of Political technological know-how (TEPS)" is designed to fill that want. it's the encyclopedia for political technological know-how within the twenty-first century. ready with the help of the yank Political technological know-how organization (APSA), "TEPS" brings jointly a extraordinary editorial board and over six hundred exotic and emerging students to chronicle and investigate the middle concerns that experience lengthy involved scholars of politics. This complete, multi-volume paintings lines the evolution of political theories, strategies, examine frameworks, and political practices from the world over. because it examines the interaction of political principles and techniques, the encyclopedia additionally conveys the power and pleasure of politics in perform. Cognizant of the worldwide nature of political rules and events, TEPS displays quite a lot of recommendations and frameworks, either Western and non-Western, nationwide and overseas. An authoritative survey of the country of politics and political technology, this 5- quantity paintings contains greater than 1,500 A to Z signed entries by way of members from over 30 nations, together with three hundred assessment articles or interpretive essays. The encyclopedia helps the entire middle undergraduate classes in political technological know-how: American executive, comparative politics, diplomacy, public coverage, public management, political habit, political concept, and political technology equipment. it is going to be a vital reference for all educational and public libraries. quickly proof: thematic desk of Contents that maps significant subfields and subject matters in politics; over 1,500 A to Z entries; contributing essays from students around the globe; and, ready with the help of the yank Political technological know-how organization.
The moment variation of this exhaustive paintings offers a surely foreign, entire and multi-disciplinary reference encompassing the various different subject matters surrounding the sphere of nanotechnology. every one access within the 4-volume set bargains a brief, self-contained overview of the subject material, written at a degree appropriate for graduate scholars, researchers, and practitioners. the 1st variation of the Encyclopedia brought lots of phrases, units and methods relating to the multi-disciplinary box of nanotechnology. For the revised second version, latest entries were up-to-date to mirror advancements within the box, and greater than a hundred and ten thoroughly new entries were extra to hide rising fabrics, applied sciences and parts of program. significant advancements for the 2nd variation comprise the following:
- Expanded part on nanostructures together with new chapters on buildings, features and purposes of graphene and graphene oxidesNew entries on formation of nanoceramics and diamond by way of spark plasma sintering
- New chapters at the synthesis and use of nanoparticles and useful nanomaterials in biomedical applications
- Significantly elevated part on molecular modeling and simulation
- Several new entries on MEMS and NEMS applied sciences together with graphene and CNT NEMS
- Expanded insurance of microfluidics and nanofluidics, and functions of nanotechnology to biomedicine and biomedical imaging
- Further fabric on environmental, healthiness and questions of safety referring to nanomaterials
- Expanded part on nanomanufacturing, now together with a number of entries on self-assembly
The varied foreign authorship of the paintings is a mirrored image of the worldwide examine attempt during this box, with contributions from major educational researchers and commercial specialists alike.
By DK Publishing
Created together with the Smithsonian establishment and choked with enjoyable proof on fossils, amphibians, sea creatures, woolly mammoths, Neanderthals, bugs and extra, Dinosaur! will intrigue readers and supply an adventure that would redefine normal heritage for kids.
The misplaced global of velociraptor, stegosaurus, allosaurus, and different prehistoric monsters come to lifestyles as by no means visible earlier than in Dinosaur!
Packed with photorealistic desktop generated photos, precise cross-sections and cutaways revealing the interior workings of dinosaurs, easy annotations, and transparent concise definitions explaining every one dinosaur and prehistoric beast at a look — Dinosaur! revives the Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous Eras and brings younger readers into the motion.
TRIBOLOGY – the learn of friction, put on and lubrication – affects nearly each point of our day-by-day lives. The Springer Encyclopedia of Tribology is an authoritative and complete reference masking all significant elements of the technological know-how and engineering of tribology which are suitable to researchers throughout all engineering industries and comparable clinical disciplines. this is often the 1st significant reference that brings jointly the technological know-how, engineering and technological features of tribology of this breadth and scope in one paintings. built and written by means of major specialists within the box, the Springer Encyclopedia of Tribology covers the basics in addition to complicated functions throughout fabric kinds, diverse size and time scales, and encompassing a variety of engineering functions and applied sciences. interesting new components akin to nanotribology, tribochemistry and biotribology have additionally been integrated. As a six-volume set, the Springer Encyclopedia of Tribology contains 1630 entries written by means of authoritative specialists in each one topic region, lower than the assistance of a world panel of key researchers from academia, nationwide laboratories and undefined. With alphabetically-arranged entries, thought diagrams and cross-linking gains, this entire paintings presents easy accessibility to crucial details for either researchers and working towards engineers within the fields of engineering (aerospace, automobile, biomedical, chemical, electric, and mechanical) in addition to fabrics technology, physics, and chemistry.
Comics and image novels have lately turn into giant company, serving because the suggestion for blockbuster Hollywood videos resembling the Iron Man sequence of flicks and the hit tv drama The jogging Dead. yet comics were well known through the twentieth century regardless of the numerous results of the limitations of the Comics Code in position from the Fifties via Seventies, which prohibited the depiction of zombies and use of the be aware "horror," between many different principles. Comics via Time: A background of Icons, Idols, and Ideas presents scholars and basic readers a one-stop source for discovering subject matters, genres, works, and artists of comedian books, comedian strips, and photo novels.
The accomplished and wide assurance of this set is geared up chronologically by means of quantity.
• Volume 1 covers 1960 and earlier
• Volume 2 covers 1960–1980
• Volume 3 covers 1980–1995
• Volume 4 covers 1995 to the present
The chronological divisions provide readers a feeling of the evolution of comics in the higher contexts of yankee tradition and historical past.
The alphabetically prepared entries in each one quantity handle subject matters reminiscent of comics publishing, characters, imprints, genres, topics, titles, artists, writers, and extra. whereas particular cognizance is paid to American comics, the entries additionally contain assurance of British, eastern, and eu comics that experience motivated illustrated storytelling of the U.S. or are of precise curiosity to American readers.
By Michael Newton
Representing a distinct reference device for readers drawn to heritage, criminology, or terrorism, this booklet presents the main entire and updated insurance of assassinations of key figures all through heritage and round the world.
• offers well timed content material approximately previous assassinations that might let scholars to raised comprehend old and modern social unrest
• Introduces new details and theories on ancient circumstances of assassination that during a few instances have enough money novel interpretations of "what relatively happened"
• Establishes the hyperlinks among well-known or infamous social activities and political assassinations, underscoring how a person or a small crew could be inspired to devote an act of violence by way of the weather in their society
• comprises greater than 20 fundamental resource files that supply debts of assassinations in international historical past in addition to a variety of sidebars that increase the studying adventure with attention-grabbing discussions of people, teams, activities, or occasions with regards to vital assassinations